Microsclerotherapy is a prescription medicine, and is used to remove thread veins, also known as spider veins on the legs.
Microsclerotherapy involves giving a series of tiny injections on the surface of the thread veins using a fine needle, making this a generally painless procedure. The sclerosing drug used irritates the lining of the veins causing the walls to stick together where blood is then directed back into the deeper veins.
It is a relatively safe procedure and any serious side effects are rare. Microsclerotherpay treatment may initially make the thread veins appear to look worse before they fade or disappear. It may take up to 4 weeks for the full effect of the treatment to work. Some people may need up to 4 treatments before thread veins fade or disappear completely, depending on the individual and how many thread veins are present. However once thread veins are faded or gone, they should not return.
However if prone to thread veins new ones may appear. Common side effects include hives initially following injections, redness, swelling, lumps, bumps, tenderness, itching, irritation of the skin. Bruising is also common, these side effects should be gone within 2-4 weeks. Severe allergic reactions are rare. However on rare occasions matting and discolouration of the skin can occur for up to 18 months. You are not suitable for the treatment if any of thew following applies: pregnancy/breastfeeding, history of deep vein thrombosis, phlebitis or infection of the legs, uncontrolled or severe asthma or diabetes.
It is advised to avoid applying anything to the legs such as creams and avoiding any other treatments eg leg waxing or extreme heat for at least 24 hours prior to treatment. It is advised to purchase compression stockings prior to treatment so you are ready to wear them on the day immediately after the treatment.
• It is advised to wear a medium compression support stockings for 2 weeks following treatment, information on where will be given by the practitioner if needed
• Do not rub, massage or apply anything such as creams to an injected area for 2 weeks after the treatment or until the area has settled
• It is advised to go for a 10 minute walk following the procedure, however avoid vigorous exercises on the legs for 2 weeks
• Avoid extreme heat/cold for example hot baths, sunbeds or saunas for 2 weeks or until area has settled
• Abstain from excessive alcohol for 24 hours
• Keep the area clean
What to Expect at Your Consultation
Post Treatment Advice
Photographs Taken Before, During & After The Procedure
Book A Consultation
Take a look at a few of our gorgeous clients